Exchange Student Information - Columbus State University
Traditional Exchange Student Program
Welcome to Columbus State University!
This page will help you navigate the exchange process if you are coming from one of our partner institutions with an exchange agreement. Click here for a list of those partner institutions.
An exchange student is a student who comes to Columbus State University for a specific period of time and not to pursue a degree. Exchange students are selected from their home institution to study for one or two semesters.
The application process for exchange students is different than that of a regular degree seeking student. CSU's partner universities will decide which applications to forward to us as nominated exchange students. CSU's Center for Global Engagement must receive complete application packets from partner universities by the following dates:
Fall Semester (beginning in August):
- Nominations due by 1 April
- Applications due by 1 May
Spring Semester (beginning in January):
- Nominations due by 1 September
- Applications due by 1 October
CSU will make the final determination whether to accept the nominated exchange students.
Please complete the following exchange student forms:
The benefits of each exchange program are different and vary depending on the agreement that your institution has with Columbus State University. Every international student has the same benefits of having access to immigration and cultural advising from the Center for Global Engagement and international student programs that are offered on-campus. If you have any questions about the services that are offered for international students or exchange students, contact Janet Crane at firstname.lastname@example.org
What to expect
You should select courses that you believe will transfer back to your home institution and courses that will benefit your educational goals. Search Course Descriptions. Students should review the course schedules to make sure that the class that want to take is being offered for the semester that they are attending. Search Class Schedules. Once you complete the application process and receive your J-1 visa, you are ready to plan your semester here at Columbus State University. Upon arrival you will attend orientation, and begin classes. Once you have completed your courses your academic transcripts will be sent to your home institution.
Accepted Students applying for J-1 (exchange) visas need to provide:
- Letter of Financial Guarantee from their home institution indicating what is covered (tuition, fees, room, meal plan). CSU will provide a form letter to your institution that they can fill in.
- Bank statement or a letter from their bank showing proof of available personal funds for expenses not covered by the home institution (books, insurance, personal).
- To calculate the funds you will need for your financial guarantee please contact email@example.com
- Immunizations are also required prior to the start of the semester classes. Printable Immunizatioin Form (PDF)